Preschool Teacher (long-term substitute)
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for a long-term substitute preschool teacher with duties beginning in late March 2017.
Founded in 1898, Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton is an independent, coeducational Catholic school as interpreted and lived by the Society of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ). Our mission is to cultivate in our students a personal and active faith in God and to lay the foundation for a meaningful life. SHS is comprised of two divisions: SHS Preschool through Middle School (P-8), and Sacred Heart Preparatory (SHP) for grades nine through twelve.
Located on a beautiful 64‐acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS is one of 23 schools in the U.S. Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. SHS employs over 300 full‐ and part‐time women and men with a strong commitment to diversity. Nearly 25% of the 1,000+ students are students of color; 30% of the student body receives need‐based tuition assistance; many graduating seniors earn recognition in the National Merit Scholarship program; 100% of our graduates are accepted into four‐year colleges. For more information about our school please visit http://www.shschools.org/Page/About/Fast-Facts.
Summary of Position
The long-term substitute teacher is responsible for all aspects of creating a dynamic Montessori learning environment for students in a preschool classroom in conjunction with a co-teacher during a leave of absence. The complete job description can be found on the Career page of our website under Preschool and Kindergarten: http://www.shschools.org/page/about/careers--shs.
• Create a child-centered, responsive prepared environment filled with experiential learning materials using Montessori materials and other hands-on materials that are in line with Montessori philosophy.
• Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
• Encourage active, concrete, hands-on learning whenever possible.
• Focus on increasing each students' quantity and quality of self-directed activity. Create weekly and monthly lesson plans.
• Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their child's progress, and to determine their priorities for their child and the the child’s resource needs.
• BA degree required, Masters degree preferred
• Montessori Primary certification required, AMS preferred
• A minimum of three years as a lead teacher in a Montessori classroom.
• Demonstrated ability to remain calm and focused in a busy, child oriented classroom of 24 students and be a collaborative and supportive co-teacher. The Preschool teacher must always be kind, warm, polite, caring and respectful.
• A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools and model behavior based in it.
• Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English.
• Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the SHS community.
• Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs.
• Animated and joyful disposition appropriate to working with young children
SHS offers competitive compensation and health and welfare benefits subject to plan parameters, including medical, dental, vision, Life & LTD, 403(b) retirement plan and more.
To Apply: Please do not contact the Schools by phone or by unscheduled visit.
Please apply via email by sending a resume to http://apptrkr.com/931418
You MUST indicate PS Long-term Substitute 2017 in the subject line of the e‐mail.
You may also choose to mail your resume to:
Sacred Heart Schools
150 Valparaiso Avenue
Atherton, CA 94027
Attention Human Resources: PS Long-term Substitute 2017
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a pre‐employment background screening is required for all positions.
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state or local laws.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.