Roots for Middle School Students is an opportunity for 7th and 8th grade students in Sacred Heart schools to learn more about St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, who along with four other RSCJ brought the mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart to North America. During our program, we will spend time both at the Academy in Saint Charles, the Shrine in her honor, and visit Saint Ferdinand’s in Florissant, another foundation of Mother Duchesne.
In addition, it will provide the experience of Building Community across the Network and the encourage students to focus on how they may Cross Frontiers, like Philippine in their own schools and communities.
Roots for Middle School students is targeted toward 7th and 8th grade students in Sacred Heart schools. The program will begin on Wednesday evening, November 1st and conclude at noon on Friday, November 3rd. The program will take place in Saint Charles, MO, the site of the first Sacred Heart school and the location where Mother Duchesne spent much of the later part of her life.
We will also include time for the adult chaperones to connect with each other in their important roles as Middle School faculty and administrators.
- We will be staying at the Embassy Suites in Saint Charles, MO.
- We are targeting this program for 7th and 8th grade students.
- Schools must send at least one chaperone per group.
- The cost for the program is the usual Network programming rate of $200 per person.
- Embassy Suites has guaranteed us a rate of $139 per night plus 14% tax. The cost of the room is divided among the number of occupants.
- We will only put students from the same school in a hotel room - there are two queen beds and one pull-out sofa in each student suite.
- The Network will invoice the schools for the appropriate fee and hotel costs after the program.
- Chaperones will have their own rooms.
- Ideally, schools would send 2 - 3 students (additional students are possible if students share beds or have an additional room). Coed or co-institutional schools can send a like number of girls and boys.
Part 1: Registration – Names of Chaperones and Students – Open through Wednesday, October 4th
Part 2: Documentation and Rooming Lists – Sent October 5th – Due October 20th